Saturday, September 25, 2021
Array

211 children hospitalised in Guatemala after eating beans at school

Must read

Ibrahim Ramalan
Ibrahim Ramalan is a graduate of Mass Communications from the Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) Zaria. With nearly a decade-long, active journalism practice, Mr Ramalan has been able to rise from a cub reporter to the exalted position of an editor; first as Arts Editor with the Blueprint Newspapers before resigning in 2019; second and presently as an Associate Editor of the Daily Nigerian online newspaper. He can be reached via [email protected], or www.facebook.com/ibrahim.ramalana, or @McRamalan on Twitter.
- Advertisement -

Guatemalan health officials suspect a bean lunch is behind the mass hospitalisation of over 200 pupils in the south-west of the country, a spokesman for the Red Cross told dpa on Tuesday.

“Some 211 children were been taken to hospital with signs of food poisoning.

“In total, 425 children from the school in the community of Las Delicias in the Quetzaltenango region had complained of abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting after a meal on Monday,’’ the newspaper Prensa Libre quoted the headmaster as saying.

However, only the most severe cases were treated in hospital.

The pupils had eaten beans with “chipilin” (Crotalaria longirostrata), a perennial legume of Central America.

“Officials are investigating possible sources of the food poisoning, including whether the ingredients had been treated with pesticides,’’ the paper said.

dpa/NAN

- Advertisement -

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest article

- Advertisement -
cosgrove