Sunday, August 7, 2022
Array

9 cooks under School Feeding Programme abscond with N700,000 in Kaduna

Must read

Rayyan Alhassanhttps://dailynigerian.com/author/rayyan/
Rayyan Alhassan is a graduate of Journalism and Mass Communication at Sikkim Manipal University, Ghana. He is the acting Managing Editor at the Daily Nigerian newspaper, a position he has held for the past 3 years. He can be reached via [email protected], or www.facebook.com/RayyanAlhassan, or @Rayyan88 on Twitter.
- Advertisement -

Chikun Local Government Education Authority in Kaduna State says it has uncovered nine cooks who disappeared after collecting N692,000 to feed pupils in area in the ongoing National Homegrown School Feeding Programme.

The Education Secretary, Dr Ibahim Danmaraya, told the journalists in Kaduna on Thursday that the names of the cooks had been forwarded to appropriate authorities for immediate action.

According to him, the four of the cooks collected N336,000 to feed 336,000 pupils in a month, but failed to supply the food, while five others paid N356,000 were nowhere to be found.

“No one knows who they are or where they are,’ the education secretary said.

READ ALSO:   EL-Rufai went too far over demolition of Sen. Hunkuyi property – Sagay

Mr Danmaraya added that the school feeding programme is neither meant for politicians nor a conduit pipe for highly placed individuals or any cook to make easy money.

“It is designed to improve enrolment, retention and completion rate of pupils in our schools, improve local economy and empower our women with job opportunities.

“Therefore, we will not accept anything less, which is why we embarked on aggressive monitoring, to ensure that every cook assigned to cook supplied the food in good quality and the right quantity.

“This is to ensure that every amount spent on the programme reach the targeted beneficiaries.”

READ ALSO:   BREAKING: Buratai's convoy involved in accident, ADC in hospital

READ ALSO: Kaduna govt begins training of 6,828 teachers on reading, numeracy

Mr Danmaraya stated that 134, out of the 255 primary schools in the council were currently benefiting from the programme, while 121 schools were yet to be captured.

He noted that the programme had also empowered 208 women in the area, who cook and supply food to the schools.

The education secretary advised the cooks against sharp practices, saying that anyone caught indulging in fraudulent practices would be dealt with, in accordance with extant laws.

Similarly, the official warned teachers and head teachers in the area against interfering with the school feeding processes for fraudulent purposes, adding that anyone caught would not be spared.

READ ALSO:   Malnutrition: Kaduna govt promises timely release of intervention funds to LGAs

Mr Danmaraya appealed to traditional institutions, community members and the school-based management committees to assist in monitoring the implementation of the programme, to ensure its success.

NAN

nigeria news(punch)

- Advertisement -

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest article

- Advertisement -
cosgrove

- Website Designed By DEBORIAN.COM, a Nigerian Web Designer and Web Developer -