Tuesday, November 23, 2021
Array

Adamawa govt plans to dismantle Gov Dankwambo presidential campaign billboard

Must read

Ibrahim Ramalan
Ibrahim Ramalan is a graduate of Mass Communications from the Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) Zaria. With nearly a decade-long, active journalism practice, Mr Ramalan has been able to rise from a cub reporter to the exalted position of an editor; first as Arts Editor with the Blueprint Newspapers before resigning in 2019; second and presently as an Associate Editor of the Daily Nigerian online newspaper. He can be reached via [email protected], or www.facebook.com/ibrahim.ramalana, or @McRamalan on Twitter.
- Advertisement -

The Adamawa State Government through its state ministry for works has perfected plans to dismount Governor Dankwambo’s 2019 Presidential Campaign billboard in the state claiming that the site had already been allocated as KEKE NAPEP parking space.

Raising the alarm, a political associate of the governor, Dahiru Kera, said the state government, through its task force, had contacted his office for a payment of N1 million for the billboard or face dismantling.

However, according to him, after agreeing to pay the stated amount, the task force vehemently rejected it, saying that they had already received an instruction from above to dismount it.

READ ALSO:   2019: We’ll monitor campaign spending — Magu

Mr Kera said: “We were contacted by the taskforce that we must pay one million Naira and its quite disparaging that, after agreeing to pay the lofty sum as requested by the authority, surprisingly they vehemently rejected it claiming that they’ve reached a decision to dismount the billboard whatsoever.

“It’s really sad that a democratically elected government is doing all these atrocious things to undermine not only democracy itself but the right of an individual to aspire and contest for any position of power as he so wishes.

“Nigeria belongs to all of us and Adamawa State is part of Nigeria and Dankwambo has the right like any other Nigerian to mount his billboard anywhere within the country.

READ ALSO:   2019: Govs El-Rufai, Masari, Ganduje have no challengers – Presidency

The chairman, therefore, strongly condemned the “dastardly and cowardly undemocratic behaviours of the Adamawa State Government.

“It’s good to note that, destroying billboard which is the last kick of the dying horse, isn’t going to change anything, Nigerians are determined to vote out this fake government from power come 2019 and no amount of intimidation, browbeating, and scare tactics can change their position,” he said.

However, in disapproval letter dated 12 July, 2018, which was served to the campaign organization and obtained by DAILY NIGERIAN, the state government claimed that a stop-work order was served on the 6 July, notifying the organization that the site had already been allocated as KEKE NAPEP parking space.

READ ALSO:   Despite losing at primaries, Gombe youngest APC Guber aspirant pledges to support party’s flag bear

It, therefore, ordered for the removal of the said billboard within 24 hours.

The letter, however, advised the organization to look for another site, subject to the approval by the authority.

- Advertisement -

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest article

- Advertisement -
cosgrove