At least 12 members of the Afghan security forces were killed in several violent overnight attacks, officials said on Tuesday.
Eight police officers were killed and two wounded after militants attacked a checkpoint in Zebak district, in the country’s northern Badakhshan province, provincial councilor Zakir Arian said.
A police official confirmed the attack and the fact that there were casualties, but gave no numbers.
In western Herat province, at least two members of the security forces were killed and 15 others wounded after a suicide bomber detonated a car bomb in an attack on a police headquarters in Ghoryan district, officials said.
In a statement, the provincial government said a dozen civilians, including children, were among the wounded.
Four residential houses were destroyed and many others were damaged partially, the statement added.
In Kabul, an army officer and his driver were shot dead by unidentified shooters, police said.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the car bombing and the checkpoint attack. Government officials also blamed the insurgent group.
Last week, U.S. President Joe Biden announced the withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan by Sept. 11, beyond the May 1, deadline previously agreed with the Taliban.
In response, the militants announced that they would not participate in a high-level Afghan peace conference in Turkey scheduled for Saturday.
Reportedly, Pakistan, Qatar and Turkey were all exerting pressure on the Taliban to attend.
Experts predict a devastating civil war if the warring sides fail to reach a political agreement before the complete withdrawal of international forces.