Monday, December 6, 2021

APC postpones governorship campaign in Kwara over insecurity

Must read

Rayyan Alhassanhttps://dailynigerian.com/author/rayyan/
Rayyan Alhassan is a graduate of Journalism and Mass Communication at Sikkim Manipal University, Ghana. He is the acting Managing Editor at the Daily Nigerian newspaper, a position he has held for the past 3 years. He can be reached via [email protected], or www.facebook.com/RayyanAlhassan, or @Rayyan88 on Twitter.
- Advertisement -

The Kwara chapter of the All Progressives Congress, APC, on Thursday postponed its plan to launch Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq’s governorship election campaign over insecurity problem.

The campaign was scheduled to hold in Kosubosu, the headquarters of the Baruten Local Government Area of the state, before the abrupt cancellation.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Kosubosu is a border community with the Republic of Benin which is a journey of more than five hours from Ilorin.

READ ALSO: 2019: Group declares support for Kwara APC governorship candidate

Journalists and party supporters had gathered on Thursday morning for the political journey when a member of the Media Committee, Kayode Oyin-Zubair, conveyed the decision of the party to the media men.

READ ALSO:   I will respond to you at appropriate time, Lai Mohammed tells AbdulRazaq

NAN findings revealed that the party postponed the programme due to an alleged plan by some thugs to scuttle the event.

However, Mr Kehinde Musa, a party supporter in Kosubosu, expressed dismay over the postponement of the governorship campaign.

Musa noted that a mammoth crowd had gathered in Kosubosu to receive the APC governorship candidate before the information was relayed to them.

He stated that the massive APC supporters in the area would file out again when next the party decided to meet the people.

Meanwhile, Kwara APC chairman, Bashir Bolarinwa, who expressed regret over the suspension in a statement on Thursday, blamed the postponement on ‘incontrovertible security reports.’

READ ALSO:   Nigeria’s insecurity is going down – Ndume

“The manifesto presentation ceremony of the All Progressives Congress gubernatorial candidate, Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq, which was expected to witness a mammoth attendance today (Thursday) in Kosubosu, Baruten Local Government Area, was regrettably called off due to very strong and incontrovertible security reports.

“As a responsible party, we put the protection of the lives of our teeming party members and indeed enthusiastic supporters who were waiting to line our routes above other considerations.

“We, therefore, use this opportunity to appeal to our party faithful for the inconveniences caused them as many had already gathered at various departure points,” Mr Abdulrazaq said.

He also announced that the party had taken full charge of the campaign structures, processes and activities for the purpose of delivering an effective mobilisation of all Kwarans for the victory of the party.

READ ALSO:   Kwara govt to spend N14bn on education sector – Official

He said that a new date for the campaign take-off would be announced soon.

NAN

- Advertisement -

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest article

- Advertisement -
cosgrove