Sunday, February 21, 2021

Boko Haram: Second phase of counter-insurgency operations underway – Attahiru

Headline

tiamin rice

The Chief of Army Staff, Ibrahim Attahiru, on Saturday hinted at the Nigerian Army’s plans to launch the second phase of the ongoing counter-insurgency operation against the Boko Haram terrorists in the North-East.

Mr Attahiru, a major-general, stated this while briefing newsmen during an operational visit to Theater Command Headquarters of Operation Lafiya Dole in Maiduguri.

The Army chief said his visit to the theatre command was to appraise the military operation in the Sambisa general area and boost the morale of troops prosecuting the war on terror.

READ  UPDATED: Buhari swears-in 4 new Perm Secs, presides over virtual FEC
READ  NNPC reports explosion in OML 40 facility

According to him, the synergy between the air and ground forces had been excellent and has led to the recent successes recorded in the counter-insurgency operation.

“As you know, areas around Njimiya, Sabilul Huda and the entire general area where Boko Haram had deployed before now have been cleared. We can rightly say we can get to the second phase of the operation, which will start soon,” he said.

The COAS also described recent attacks by the insurgents on Marte and Dikwa as an attempt to distract the troops from the gains being recorded.

READ  Ooni of Ife, wife welcome baby boy

“The adversary will want to distract you and that is the example of what we had in New Marte and Dikwa. Good enough, our troops gave a good account of themselves and took on the terrorist decisively.

“We will also encourage them and bring in more combat multipliers, that is what we will continue to have all through the theatre,” he added.

READ  INEC received 9,777 requests for additional polling units – Prof. Yakubu

Mr Attahiru assured Nigerians that more equipment would be deployed to all theater of operations across the country to stamp out the menace of insurgency and other forms of criminality.

READ  Nigerian troops kill 220 bandits, arrest 892 suspects – DHQ

Subscribe to Our VIP Newsletter

Related News

Latest News

cosgrove