Juventus defender Leonardo Bonucci has signed a one-year contract extension that will see him tied to the Turin giants until 2021, the Serie A champions said on Monday.
Bonucci, currently out injured until the New Year, was a reported target for Chelsea manager Antonio Conte, who led Juve to three consecutive titles before taking over the Italy squad ahead of Euro 2016.
But the 32-time Italian champions have moved to ward off potential suitors after announcing a new deal for the 29-year-old.
“Juventus and Leonardo Bonucci would like announce the defender will be in Bianconero until 2021,” a statement by Juventus said, referring to the club’s nickname.
It was only last year that Bonucci signed a contract extension with Juventus until 2020.
This new deal could give Serie A leaders Juve, who head Roma by seven points, extra leverage in the event of negotiations with rival clubs.
Bonucci signed for Juventus from Bari in 2010 and has gone on to make 291 appearances for the club, becoming one of the world’s most respected defenders in the process.
The statement added: “If a striker finds himself in a duel with Leo, in 72 percent of cases he will lose.
“And not only that. From the club’s players still in activity, Bonucci has won the most games (185) from all competitions with Juventus since the 2010/11 season.
“And if that’s not enough, in the same time period, his 16 goals make him the highest-scoring Juventus defender in all competitions.”