The Centre for Information Technology and Development, CITAD, has raised an alarm over insurgents’ recent onslaught saying it is a result of absence of military from Maiduguri to Damasak, a border town with Niger Republic.
The CITAD stated this following the recent Boko Haram attack in Gubio and Magumeri Local Government Areas of Borno State on Wednesday.
Executive Secretary of CITAD, Yunusa Zakari, in a press conference in Kano on Friday, said the entire stretch between Maiduguri to Damasak, spanning 160 kilometers, had been left without military presence.
According to him, Gubio and Magumeri, the two local governments that fall between the Maiduguri and Damasak, were attacked because the insurgents took advantage of the military absence in the areas.
Mr Zakari noted that the remnant of military that were left in Gubio had fled the area, following the first attack on the military brigade that was deployed there.
“The entire stretch between Maiduguri to Damasak, at the border with Niger Republic, spanning over 160 kilometers, had been left without military presence and may be vulnerable to attacks.
“The remnant military fled Gubio following the first attack on military brigade that was stationed there,” he said
The Executive Secretary, however called on the federal government to review and fine tune the National Counter Insurgency Strategy.
He added that the recent attack raised a serious question on the efficacy of the counter insurgency.
He therefore urged the government to “investigate and find immediate solution to the growing influence of war economy.
“Top military brass were allegedly benefitting and becoming more interested in exploiting such an economy for their social aggrandizement than in saving lives and ending the conflict.
“It is known that soldier have taken over control of major economic activities such as fishing in some communities,” he alleged.
“The government must therefore ensure that our troops are well equipped and supported with high quality of intelligence,” Mr Zakari noted.
He also called on President Muhammadu Buhari to investigate the allegations of non-payment of allowances of soldiers, saying; “there have been reports about these and such situation is capable of damping the morels of the soldiers.”
While noting that the attacks would have serious impact on food security as they happened in the height of farming season, Mr Zakari also called for restoration of military cover in the two local governments that suffered the attacks on Wednesday, August 21.
He however commended the patriotism and gallantry of Nigerian soldiers.
He urged the government to heed to the advises in a bid to bring lasting solutions to insurgency in the area.