Wednesday, February 17, 2021

BREAKING: IGP orders arrest of Sunday Igboho over ‘quit notice’ on Fulani in Oyo

Headline

tiamin rice

The Inspector-General of Police, IGP, Mohammed Adamu, has ordered the arrest of Sunday Adeyemo aka Sunday Igboho, over an eviction order on Fulani communities in Oyo State.

The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, confirmed this in an interview with BBC Hausa.

He told BBC Hausa that an order had been given by the IGP to the Commissioner of Police in Oyo State, Ngozi Onadeko, to arrest Mr Igboho immediately and transfer him to Abuja.

Recall that the Yoruba activist had issued a ‘quit notice’ to all Fulanis over alleged kidnapping and banditry in Igangan, Ibarapa East local government of Oyo State.

Following the expiration of the notice on Friday, Mr Igboho stormed the Fulani settlements in the town to eject the Sarkin Fulani, Salihu Abdukadir, and some other herdsmen accused of fuelling security.

Mr Igboho’s action sparked up mixed reactions from Nigerians, especially on social media.

Arewa Consultative Forum warns a repeat of Civil War

The ACF, in a statement signed on Saturday by its National Publicity Secretary, Emmanuel Yawe, warned that the attacks if not immediately stopped, may lead to counterattacks in the North and even a repeat of the 1967 civil war.

Mr Yawe said: “The ACF is worried about this trend and calls on the Federal and State Governments in the South West to move quickly to avert a social upheaval that may destabilize the whole country.
We recall that the civil war in the 60’s started with attacks and counter-attacks like this.

“The governments must be proactive and stop history from repeating itself.
Those who carried out these attacks must be apprehended and the due process of the law allowed to take its course.

“If this is not done there maybe counter attacks in the north and the country will be up in flames. The authorities must act. The ACF is very worried and calls on them to act fast,” ACF said.

Afenifere different about ACF’s threat

The Afenifere, in a statement signed by its National Publicity Secretary, Yinka Odumakin,

Blasted the ACF over an alleged threat for war, saying that they would not provoke war but never were they going to run for anybody on their land

The statement reads: “While we have gone to a great length to sue for peace and have appealed to our pained people to be law-abiding even with the daily provocations of the Fulani and harassment of our people, we frown at the very arrogant and insulting ACF statement, especially their reference to the event of 1966.”

“We must make it clear to them that they cannot threaten us with a war at this stage as we will not provoke war but never are we going to run for anybody on our land.”

“We are miffed that a body like ACF that has never shown any remorse over the killing of our people can open their mouths anyhow now because there are consequences for the irresponsible actions of their people.

“We advise them to call their criminals to order and not expect our people to sheepishly wait to be killed by those who value cow lives more than human beings.”

“We do not want a repeat of 1966 event but if there are people plotting such event again, the rain will be over their heads.”

Subscribe to Our VIP Newsletter

Related News

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News

cosgrove