Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Breaking: Trouble for Melaye as court allows INEC proceed with recall process

Must read

Jaafar Jaafar
Jaafar Jaafarhttps://dailynigerian.com/
Jaafar Jaafar is a graduate of Mass Communication from Bayero University, Kano. He was a reporter at Daily Trust, an assistant editor at Premium Times and now the editor-in-chief of Daily Nigerian.
- Advertisement -

A Federal High Court in Abuja has on Monday dismissed the suit filed by the Kogi West senator, Dino Melaye challenging his recall process by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.

The presiding judge, Nnamdi Dimgba, in his judgement, quashed the earlier ex parte order by another judge of the High court in Abuja, who asked both parties to maintain a status quo in the process.

But in his today’s ruling, the judge said in view of the number of constituents who signed for the recall of their representative, the process could not be halted, which allows the electoral umpire  to “proceed with the recall process.”

Justice Dimgba ordered that the process shall only proceed with the recall process, subject to the service of the petition, the full list and signatures of persons in support of the recall process.

he said the 90 days period within which the constitution ordered INEC to conduct a referendum on receiving the recall petition had been paused since June 23, when Melaye commenced the suit.

 

Details later

 

- Advertisement -

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest article

- Advertisement -
cosgrove

- Website Designed By DEBORIAN.COM, a Nigerian Web Designer and Web Developer -