Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Britain summons Iran’s ambassador after deadly attack on tanker

Must read

News Desk
News Deskhttps://dailynigerian.com/author/rayyan/
Rayyan Alhassan is a graduate of Journalism and Mass Communication at Sikkim Manipal University, Ghana. He is the acting Managing Editor at the Daily Nigerian newspaper, a position he has held for the past 3 years. He can be reached via [email protected], or www.facebook.com/RayyanAlhassan, or @Rayyan88 on Twitter.
- Advertisement -

The Iranian ambassador to Britain was summoned to the Foreign Office in London on Monday, in response to a drone attack last week on an Israeli-linked commercial tanker in which a British national and a Romanian national were killed.

Britain, Romania, the United States, and Israel have all pointed their fingers at Iran for Thursday’s attack by unmanned drones on the Mercer Street tanker as it transited near Oman. It was not carrying cargo at the time.

The tanker is operated by British-based Zodiac Maritime, whose chairperson is Israeli businessperson Eyal Ofer.

Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said at the weekend that Tehran had “intended to attack an Israeli target.”

READ ALSO:   Hiroshima memorial: UN chief laments slow progress on nuclear-free goal

“The Iranian ambassador to the UK, Mohsen Baharvand, was summoned today to the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office by the minister for the Middle East, James Cleverly, in response to the unlawful attack committed on MV Mercer Street on July 29,” a British Foreign Office statement read.

“Minister Cleverly reiterated that Iran must immediately cease actions that risk international peace and security, and reinforced that vessels must be allowed to navigate freely in accordance with international law.”

Tehran has repeatedly denied any involvement and did so again on Monday following statements late on Sunday from the governments of Britain and the U.S. that blamed Iran.

READ ALSO:   Israeli hits dozens of Gaza targets after mortar barrage

“The insinuations by the British and U.S. foreign ministers are baseless and a political provocation that we condemn in the strongest terms,” Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Saeed Khatibzadeh said. (dpa/NAN)

- Advertisement -

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest article

- Advertisement -
cosgrove

- Website Designed By DEBORIAN.COM, a Nigerian Web Designer and Web Developer -