Governor Mai Mala Buni of Yobe State has inaugurated the Governing Council of the state university to be chaired by the Pro-Chancellor of the university, Ahmed Mustapha-Goniri.
DAILY NIGERIAN reports that the composition of the Governing Council, as provided by Law, consists of members appointed by the state government; ex-officio members and representatives of the Senate of the University.
The governing council has the responsibility of providing general guidelines for policy, structure powers, financing, public relations, property and general management of the University.
During the inauguration on Friday, the governor vowed to continue to maintain and improve on the quality of infrastructure at the university, in line with the priorities and needs of the institution.
“These developments have undoubtedly put the University at the forefront in terms of good and conducive teaching and learning environment.
“Let me reiterate upfront that our administration would continue to maintain and improve on the quality of infrastructure at the university in line with the priorities and needs of the institution,” he said.
He, therefore, urged the members to cooperate with one another and work in unity to ensure remarkable successes in the discharge of duties during their tenure in office.
“I assure you that we will give you all the necessary support to succeed. Your functions are clearly spelt out in the Law establishing the University and therefore, we expect no conflict between the Council and the Senate of the University in the discharge of academic matters.
“I wish to congratulate you all on your well-deserved appointments. May the Almighty Allah guide you in carrying out this very important assignment,” the governor stated.
Mr Buni also stressed his confidence on the newly Pro-Chancellor/Chairman, Ahmed Mustapha-Goniri, who was the last Attorney General and a former commissioner for over a decade.
The membership of the new Governing Council of the Yobe State University is, therefore, as follows: –
- Ahmed Mustapha Goniri Esq. – Pro-Chancellor and Chairman
- Prof. Mala M. Daura, Vice-Chancellor – Member
- The Deputy Vice-Chancellors (Admin and Academic) – “
- Four persons representing variety of relevant interest of the State to be appointed by the visitor – “
- Hon. Baba Bukar Machina – “
- Arch. Musa Usman – “
iii. Hon. Zakariya Maimalari – “
- One person to be appointed by the Congregation from among the members of the body conversant with the institutional proceedings;
- One appointed by the convocation from among the members of that body;
- A representative of Ministry of Higher Education
- A representative of Ministry of Justice;
- Four persons appointed by the Senate from among the members of the body;
- A representative from National University Commission
- Representative Min. of Education – “
- Representative Min. of Justice – “
- Representative National Universities Commission – “