Chibok girls’ parents call for UN intervention, to seek redress at ICC

Ibrahim Abdulaziz
0
12
Some parents of the abducted Chibok girls

Four years after Chibok girls’ abducted by Boko Haram insurgents, parents of the missing girls have now resorted to seeking United Nations’ intervention to secure the release of the remaining girls.

The parents are threatening to head for International Court of Criminal Justice, ICC to seek redress.

Recall that over 270 schoolgirls were kidnapped by Boko Haram terrorists in 2014.

Commemorating the girls’ four years in captivity, the parents pleaded with the federal government to expedite action towards the rescue of the remaining girls, as it did in securing the release of Dapchi girls.

The spokesman of the parents, Ayuba Alamson Chibok, said that all what they wanted to know was the state of their daughters and when they are to expect them home.

“It’s sad that since their abduction, only a total of 107 of our girls are back. The remaining 113 are still in captivity.

“It has been four years now we have not seen our daughters. We thought they would bring them back last year, but they did not. It is very traumatic, we have lost over twenty of the parents, we don’t want lose any one of us in this situation again.

“Let Mr President talk to us and tell us exactly why the delays. Right now we are hopeless and more traumatised than before because it seems the successes recorded is now considered as closure since no one is paying any attention to our grief,” the parents lamented.

The parents further urged the government to expedite action in rescuing the girls. “While we appreciate Buhari and his government for the negotiated release of our 21 girls, and another batch of 82, we wish to also make known our pains and disaffection because it seems we are not being considered.

‘’When the 21 girls were rescued, we begged to be part of the reunion, so we could hear about of missing daughters, but we were denied that opportunity.

‘’Again when the 82 came home, we were so happy to knowing very well that we could meet them and hear about our daughters, even if they are dead so we could bring this to closure, again we were denied the chance to meet them till today.

‘’If there is any time we are so much worried about our girls then, it is now, when we don’t seem to hear anything again from any official, be it our local leaders, our state officials, or the Federal government officials. No one is saying anything to us at all.

‘’When the government promised to secure the girls, we thought it won’t be long after the 82 girls were rescued, having seen how possible that was.

“So with the recent pronouncements and claims by Ahamd Salkida, our heart breaks and we are left with no option than to call for UN intervention and also to take the matter to ICC to seek justice,’’ he noted.

It could be recalled that Mr Salkida, who believed to have access to the terror group that kidnapped the 217 girls in 2014, had earlier claimed that out of 113 girls believed to be with the insurgents, only 15 were still alive.

Mr Salkida, in a series of tweets on Saturday, which marked the fourth anniversary of the abduction of the girls, said sources within the group told him the others died mostly during military operations by government forces.

Although, the federal government, responding to press inquiries, debuked Mr Salkida’s claim.