Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Cholera: Death toll reaches 60 in FCT

Must read

- Advertisement -

The Federal Capital Territory Administration, FCTA, has intensified community sensitisation on the Cholera outbreak, as death toll rises from 54 to 60.

The FCT Minister of State, Ramatu Aliyu, made the disclosure at the continuation of sensitisation on cholera and other acute diarrhea diseases in Pyakasa and Gwagwa communities on Thursday.

Mrs Aliyu indicated that suspected cases of cholera in the territory rose from 604 to 698 within 72 hours.

Represented by the acting Executive Secretary of FCT Primary Health Care Board, Iwot Ndaeyo, the minister revealed that the Abaji Area Council also recorded three suspected cases with no death.

She said:  “Abuja Municipal Area Council (AMAC) recorded 281 suspected cases with 22 deaths and Bwari Area Council recorded 134 suspected cases with 22 deaths.

READ ALSO:   Self-kidnap: Ameerah Sufyan has history of mental health disorder – Police

“In Gwagwalada Area Council, 220 suspected cases with nine deaths were recorded, Kuje Area Council had 23 suspected cases with four deaths and Kwali Area Council recorded 37 suspected cases with three deaths.”

The minister described the ugly trend as “unacceptable in the FCT”.

“The administration would not fold its hands and watch residents die helplessly over preventable diseases.

“We must take every necessary steps to curb further spread,” she added.

She urged FCT residents and critical stakeholders to publicise the message of cholera prevention, proper sanitation with the practice of hand hygiene in their respective communities.

Earlier, the Chairman of Abuja Municipal Area Council, AMAC, Abdullahi Candido, affirmed the council’s
commitment to forestall continuous spread of the disease to adjoining and other communities.

READ ALSO:   Attacks on public infrastructure are acts of terror – Lai Mohammed

According to him, the Primary Health Care Department of the council had embarked on sensitisation to the four chiefdoms in AMAC to enlighten the traditional rulers and their councils about the Cholera outbreak and preventive measures.

He said: “On our part as an area council, we swung into action immediately we received the news of the outbreak and its confirmation in June.

“We quickly mobilised our health personnel in our primary healthcare facilities for prompt responses.

“Following the recommendations from the outbreak report, we provided funds for quick purchase of drugs, infusions and other treatment materials and consumables, in addition to the ones we received from the FCT Public Health Department.”

READ ALSO:   UPDATED: 1 pilot dies in Nigerian Air Force jet crash

“The Disease Control Unit of our Primary Health Care Department through Disease Surveillance Notification Officers, had been working tirelessly in different communities of the council, including the hard-to-reach fields.

“This will enable the officers to trace and report cases at the primary healthcare facilities for free treatment.”

Mr Candido, therefore, commended the professional competence, commitment and zeal of the council’s health workers and the Health and Human Services Secretariat of the FCTA in combating the life threatening disease.

NAN

tribune news

- Advertisement -

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest article

- Advertisement -
cosgrove

- Website Designed By DEBORIAN.COM, a Nigerian Web Designer and Web Developer -