An opposition group that has led the campaign for a civilian government in Sudan reacted cautiously on Friday to news of a failed coup attempt.
Sudan’s military government said on Thursday that at least 12 soldiers who tried to seize power had been arrested, but the leader of the plot and several other suspects remained at large.
A leading member of the opposition umbrella group Forces for Freedom and Change, FFC, Jafar Hassan, voiced some skepticism.
Mr Hassan pointed out that claims of a coup could be in the context of delaying a fragile power-sharing deal, although he hoped this was not the case.
Exact details of the coup were not yet available as it came just months after a military putsch toppled long-time leader Omar Al-Bashir.
The opposition which staged months of protests against Al-Bashir has called for a civilian government.
However, the FFC and the military agreed to take turns at the helm of a sovereign council for a period of three years, with elections to follow.
The two sides also agreed to investigate recent violence against protesters in the country, which led to dozens of deaths.
“The aim of the attempted coup was to foul the agreement,’’ General Jamal Ibrahim, head of the military government’s security committee said.
“But the deal could be under threat from critics on both sides.’’
The Soufan Group said divisions between military commanders, Bashir loyalists, and other influential members of the security forces and political elite could blunt efforts toward meaningful progress.