A Kano State High Court on Monday dismissed the suit filed by Kano Emirate Kingmakers, challenging the creation of four new emirates in the state.
Recall that the kingmakers had last year instituted a suit challenging the state government’s decision to create additional emirates with first-class status.
However, at the resumed trial on Monday, Justice Ahmed Badamosi ruled that the suit had been overtaken by events as the law creating the emirates had been quashed by Justice Usman Na’aba in the November 21 judgement that nullified the creation of the emirates.
According to him, since the law has been nullified, there is no basis continuing the case, “as it will only amount to academic exercise and a waste of time”.
Reacting, Counsel to the kingmakers, Haruna Saleh, said they viewed the judgement as a technical victory for the state government, adding that they would explore options available to them to seek redress.
“Since the doors of litigation are not closed to us in this matter, we will explore any of the options available to us in law either by way of appeal or even before the same court to challenge the new law,” Mr Haruna said.
However, a counsel on the part of the government said the case filed by the kingmakers was itself technical.
“If they are saying that the legislature in the state has no power to make a law, they are basing their argument on technicalities.”