Sunday, December 5, 2021
Array

COVID-19: NMA advises Nigerian govt against inviting Chinese doctors

Must read

Rayyan Alhassanhttps://dailynigerian.com/author/rayyan/
Rayyan Alhassan is a graduate of Journalism and Mass Communication at Sikkim Manipal University, Ghana. He is the acting Managing Editor at the Daily Nigerian newspaper, a position he has held for the past 3 years. He can be reached via [email protected], or www.facebook.com/RayyanAlhassan, or @Rayyan88 on Twitter.
- Advertisement -

The Nigerian Medical Association, NMA, has advised the Federal Government to rescind its decision of inviting Chinese doctors into Nigeria as part of measures to fight Coronavirus, COVID-19, in the overall interest of the country.

The association in a statement issued by its President, Dr Francis Faduyile, on Monday in Abuja noted that the NMA received the news with great dismay and disappointment.

He said that the association rejected the government intention, adding that the invitation is ill-time and of overbearing significance.

MrFaduyile said that the association appreciated the commendable work done by doctors and health workers at the Nigerian Centre for Disease Control, NCDC, and the various isolation centres across the country.

“It expects the government to show appreciation by channelling the available resources and donations to improving testing facilities to detect more cases and ramp up capacity to train more workers.

“The association is aware of a large pool of general medical and specialist practitioners who are either unemployed or underemployed that can be engaged instead of bringing foreigners who aside from national security concerns may not be conversant with our culture, terrain and peculiar challenges.

“The association believes that this invitation is ill-timed and of no overbearing significance considering that whatever experiences the Chinese have can be shared by digital technology through conferencing, bearing in mind that Dr Chikwe Ihekweazu has only just returned from China.

READ ALSO:   Plateau workers to start receiving new minimum wage October – NLC

“We are not averse to the donation of equipment and supplies because we can always do with such support as even the developed countries receive support.

“In rejecting the invitation of the Chinese doctors, the NMA would instead urge the Federal Government to review and approve better welfare incentives to the frontline medical personnel.

“The provision of adequate Personal Protective Equipment, opening and properly equipping more isolation centres and health facilities across the country is an excellent first step.

“Deploying more resources to facilitate testing as we are beginning to witness community transmission of COVID 19 is equally a better application of scarce resources.

“The Government should declare a state of emergency in the Health sector and use the opportunity to fix our health institutions as a matter of urgency in a bid to stem the rot.”

Mr Faduyile described the invitation as an embarrassment to the membership of NMA and other health workers who are giving their best under deplorable working conditions, and a fragile health system, yet not to be carried along in arriving at such a decision.

READ ALSO:   May Day: Ortom advises Benue workers on multiple streams of income

“The lack of Personal Protective Equipment, PPE, grossly inadequate test kits and test centres across the country, and the absolute lack of any form of insurance for the workforce are primordial issues begging for attention at this time.

“We are therefore profoundly dismayed to learn that the Federal Government is instead inviting the Chinese who from available accounts are not out of the woods themselves.

“The spike in cases and the death toll from COVID-19 in Italy coincided with the arrival of the Chinese in the guise of offering assistance. Even the United Nations has only just recently commended the efforts of Nigeria so far.”

Mr Faduyile said the association noted with grave concern that the government did not take into consideration the extant laws regulating the practice of medicine in Nigeria as enshrined in the Medical and Dental Council Act.

“This is one such circumstance where the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria should be consulted to grant necessary approvals to foreigners to interact with Nigerian patients.”

The NMA president added that it would be a great disservice to the morale of the long-suffering frontline health workforce if the government goes ahead to invite these Chinese doctors.

READ ALSO:   Africa Economic, Cultural Week to hold virtually May 24 to 26 – Organisers

“The invitation demeans their sacrifices so far in this pandemic. We fail to see how the 18-man team would impact the current efforts in any significant way.

“The Association, however, expects that the government would rescind the decision in the overall interest of the country.

“The NMA would loathe reviewing her participation in the fight against COVID-19 considering the grave implications and the risk to the lives of her members should the Government go ahead with this ill-thought-out invitation at this time.”

Mr Faduyile also urged the government to expand the Presidential Task Force to include other critical stakeholders including journalists and the civil societies.

This, according to him, is to ensure more robust engagement especially as the decisions of the task force had implications for the health, wealth and security of the country.

He said that the NMA remained committed to the people and the government of Nigeria.

“We support the efforts of our frontline health workers in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic, and we expect reciprocal trust from the Government,” said the NMA president.

NAN

- Advertisement -

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest article

- Advertisement -
cosgrove