Monday, February 15, 2021

COVID-19: Four more Australian Open participants infected

Headline

tiamin rice

More players were forced into hard quarantine ahead of the Australian Open with officials confirming on Monday that four additional participants, including an athlete, tested positive for COVID-19 among those arriving in Melbourne.

Health authorities in Victoria state have now reported nine infections among passengers who arrived on charter flights for the Feb. 8-21 Australian Open and officials said more cases may come to light as testing continues.

“All four are associated with the tennis, and they are all tucked away safely in hotel quarantine,” Victoria state premier Daniel Andrews told reporters of the new cases.

Passengers on three Australian Open charter flights were sent into hard quarantine, including over 70 players who will be unable to train for 14 days ahead of the year’s first Grand Slam.

Players have come up with unique ways to pass time and stay fit in isolation with some hitting balls against a mattress and running sprints in corridors.

Others are allowed five hours outside their hotel rooms each day for preparation, in line with arrangements made by organisers, Tennis Australia with health authorities.

But several among those, including Australia’s top-ranked player, Alex de Minaur, were unable to train on courts on Monday due to logistics issues with transport.

De Minaur, who returned home after winning an ATP title in Turkey last week, posted a video on Instagram of himself sitting at the front door of his hotel room dressed fully in his practice attire.

“It’s been a challenging few days as we’ve worked with the relevant authorities managing the logistics to ensure everyone is safe as practice begins,” TA said in a statement, adding that transport issues were later sorted out.

“Our team is continuing to work with the authorities to help in any way we can. We understand this has been frustrating for the players and apologise.”

The growing infection count has sparked calls from pundits to cancel the Grand Slam.

“It’s time to be selfish, time for Victoria to put ourselves first,” 3AW radio broadcaster Neil Mitchell said.

“Call off the Australian Open. It’s not worth the risk.”

Tennis Australia boss Craig Tiley said on Sunday the tournament would start as scheduled.

Many Australians have questioned the decision to host the tournament with organisers flying in 1,200 tennis players and their entourages Down Under when thousands of citizens are stranded overseas due to the pandemic.

Andrews said the government still supported holding the Grand Slam and backed health officials to deliver it safely.

Reuters/NAN

Related News

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News

cosgrove