A former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki, has appeared before Federal High Court in Abuja in line with the subpoena issued to him by the court to give evidence in the trial of former National Publicity Secretary of the People Democratic Party, PDP, Olisah Metuh, on N400 million corruption charges.
Mr Dasuki, appearing unfazed, stormed the court in compliance with the subpoena issued on him by Justice Okon Abang at the instance of Mr Metuh.
However, the former National Security Adviser gave a brief evidence in court and later told the court that he was ‘incapacitated’ to give accurate account of what transferred in the Office of the National Security Adviser in 2014 because he had been clamped into detention for over two years now in spite of bails granted him by three different High Courts and ECOWAS Court of Justice.
Led in evidence by Emeka Etiaba, counsel to Mr Metuh, the former NSA confirmed knowing Mr Metuh but said he could not recall without reference to his records the transaction of 2014 upon which Mr Metuh was put on trial by the Federal Government.
Specifically, the ex-NSA told Justice Abang he had been kept in the custody of the State Security Service, SSS, for over two years and had no access to records of his office that could make him refresh his memory to give accurate evidence.
He recalled the caution issued to him by the court to the effect that he would be prosecuted if he gives inaccurate evidence in the trial of Mr Metuh.
Adding that in order to give accurate evidence, he needs to have a recourse to his records to be able to give accurate evidence.
At that point, counsel to Mr Metuh applied for an adjournment to enable Mr Dasuki have access to his records to enable him to give correct evidence.
Mr Etiaba said from all indications, Mr Dasuki is ever willing and ready to cooperate and give reliable evidence.
However, counsel to the EFCC, Sylvanus Tahir, opposed the application for adjournment.
Mr Tahim added that major documents needed by Mr Dasuki to give evidence are in the custody of the court and that Mr Metuh’s counsel should be compelled to use the documents on the witness.
He urged Justice Abang not to grant the adjournment.
In his brief ruling, Justice Abang adjourned ruling on the application for adjournment till November 3.
Meanwhile the Court of Appeal has fixed November 13, 2017 for hearing of the Appeal filed by Mr Dasuki in which he prayed the court to set aside the subpoena issued on him by Justice Abang on the ground that he had been in the custody of SSS for over two years and may not be able to give accurate evidence in the trial of Mr Metuh.
Similarly in the motion brought by former President Goodluck Jonathan praying Justice Abang to set aside the subpoena issued to him to appear in court to give evidence for Metuh, the court in a brief ruling held that it has no jurisdiction to entertain the motion argued by Mike Ezekhome for Jonathan on the ground that the former president had not been formally served with the subpoena.
Justice Abang said all issues raised by Jonathan against the subpoena can only be canvassed after he had been served with the subpoena personally as required by the court.