Saturday, September 25, 2021

Death toll from floods rises to 302 in China’s Henan

Must read

News Deskhttps://dailynigerian.com/author/rayyan/
Rayyan Alhassan is a graduate of Journalism and Mass Communication at Sikkim Manipal University, Ghana. He is the acting Managing Editor at the Daily Nigerian newspaper, a position he has held for the past 3 years. He can be reached via [email protected], or www.facebook.com/RayyanAlhassan, or @Rayyan88 on Twitter.
- Advertisement -

The death toll from the torrential rains in central China’s Henan Province had risen to 302 as at Monday noon, the information office of the provincial government told newsmen on Monday afternoon.

Another 50 people still remained missing, said the office.

A total of 292 people were confirmed dead and 47 missing in Zhengzhou City, the provincial capital, seven people dead and three missing in Xinxiang City, while the city of Pingdingshan and Luohe reported two and one death, respectively.

As at Monday noon, more than 14.53 million people in 150 county-level regions had been affected by downpours.

READ ALSO:   COVID-19: U.S.’s Pompeo to meet China’s top diplomat over tensions – media

Over 1.09 million hectares of crops were damaged, and over 30,600 houses had collapsed across the province, official data showed.

READ ALSO:   Flood sweeps away 130 communities in Niger – Gov Bello

Since July 16, record rainstorms had inundated Henan.

In Zhengzhou, 617.1 mm of rainfall fell over a three-day period, close to the city’s average annual amount.

The city also registered a record hourly precipitation rate of 201.9 mm.

Extreme rainfall in a short period of time, disruption of urban traffic, and large water displacement of urban underground space have made search and rescue difficult, said officials at the news conference.

Currently, railways, civil aviation, expressways and major roads in Henan have resumed traffic.

The urban and rural public transportation and communication networks have basically resumed.

READ ALSO:   NEMA issues flood alert to 102 LGs

Areas where disaster-affected people were relocated, public transport and flood-affected areas have all completed disinfection.

READ ALSO:   Philippines, U.S. resume major annual military exercise

The State Council, China’s cabinet, announced Monday that it had decided to set up an investigation team to assess the responses to the devastating flood in Zhengzhou.

The team would be headed by the Ministry of Emergency Management and include officials and experts from relevant departments, the State Council said in a statement.

The investigation aims to summarise the experience and lessons drawn from the response and propose measures that can be taken to improve disaster prevention and relief in the future, the statement said.

Those who were found breaching their duties in the flood would be held responsible according to the law and regulations, it added. (Xinhua/NAN)

READ ALSO:   Flood sacks Edo INEC office, card readers, computers destroyed

 

- Advertisement -

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here
READ ALSO:   Flood sweeps away 130 communities in Niger – Gov Bello

- Advertisement -

Latest article

- Advertisement -
cosgrove