Egypt’s Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry and his Italian counterpart Luigi Di Maio stressed their rejection of foreign military intervention in Libya on Monday as they discussed recent developments in the North African country’s civil war.
In a phone call, the two ministers affirmed “the necessity of working on intensifying efforts to restore security and stability in Libya,” Egypt’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Ahmed Hafez said in a statement.
Shoukry and Di Maio agreed that any foreign military intervention would hinder a comprehensive political settlement that addresses all aspects of the Libyan crisis, the spokesman added.
Libya is currently locked in a conflict between the UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) in Tripoli and the self-styled Libyan National Army of General Khalifa Haftar, which is allied with a rival administration in the eastern city of Tobruk.
Haftar’s forces launched a military campaign to seize Tripoli in April that has since reached a stalemate.
The conflict has turned into a proxy war, as both sides have foreign backers.
Last week, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said his country would send troops to Libya at the request of the rival GNA, which last month signed a controversial security cooperation pact with Ankara.
The step has stoked fears that Libya’s years-long feud could become a regional conflict.
Haftar’s forces are backed by Egypt, the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia and Russia.