Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Flood destroys 2,026 houses, 95 farms in Kano – SEMA

Must read

Ibrahim Ramalan
Ibrahim Ramalan is a graduate of Mass Communications from the Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) Zaria. With nearly a decade-long, active journalism practice, Mr Ramalan has been able to rise from a cub reporter to the exalted position of an editor; first as Arts Editor with the Blueprint Newspapers before resigning in 2019; second and presently as an Associate Editor of the Daily Nigerian online newspaper. He can be reached via [email protected], or www.facebook.com/ibrahim.ramalana, or @McRamalan on Twitter.
- Advertisement -

The Kano State Emergency Management Agency, SEMA, says 95 farms and property worth N1.5 billion, have been destroyed by flooding in eight Local Government Areas, LGAs, of the state.

Dr Sale Jili, the Executive Secretary of the agency, said this when he spoke with the News Agency of Nigeria on Sunday in Kano.

Mr Jili said that the Nigeria Meteorological Agency, NiMet, had earlier predicted flooding in 25 LGAs of the state due expected heavy rainfall.

“About 26 persons were killed 2,026 houses destroyed, 95 rice farms washed away and 19 persons injured due to flooding in the state,” he said.

READ ALSO:   Aviation workers suspend planned nationwide strike

Mr Jili named the affected LGAs to include Bunkure, Minjibir, Tarauni, Doguwa, Rano, Ungogo, Tudun Wada and Tsanyawa.

“We have visited Bunkure, Minjibir, Tarauni and Doguwa to distribute relief materials to the victims as a measure to alleviate their sufferings.

“The items distributed include food items, bags of cement, roofing sheets, mats and blankets,” he said.

Mr Jili said the agency had deployed personnel to Tudun Wada LGA which was badly affected by the disaster to assess the damage to enable it develop comprehensive data.

He said that the State Government in collaboration with the Federal Government has setup an Internally Displaced Persons, IDP, camp furnished with mattresses and beddings for flood victims that can accommodate over 700 persons.

READ ALSO:   Anambra Gubar: Soludo vows to participate in election despite INEC disqualification

Mr Jili urged residents of the state to report any disaster to their ward heads and warned them against dumping of refuse on waterways and clear their drainages to avert flooding.

NAN

- Advertisement -

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest article

- Advertisement -
cosgrove

- Website Designed By DEBORIAN.COM, a Nigerian Web Designer and Web Developer -