Saturday, October 16, 2021

Gas fire burns Plateau polytechnic hostel

Must read

Jaafar Jaafarhttps://dailynigerian.com/
Jaafar Jaafar is a graduate of Mass Communication from Bayero University, Kano. He was a reporter at Daily Trust, an assistant editor at Premium Times and now the editor-in-chief of Daily Nigerian.
- Advertisement -

The female hostel in the Jos campus of the Plateau State Polytechnic was on Monday completely burnt down by fire.

The fire, which started around 8.30 a.m., raged on until 11.44, throwing the entire school into confusion as students and staffers scurried to safety with some bold students making frantic but fruitless efforts to quench the inferno.

There was however no report of a loss of life in the fire that gutted everything in the hostel.

“Many students had left for lectures when the fire started; no one was around to remove anything from the burning hostel,” Yusuf Ade, a security man, said.

READ ALSO:   Nigerian widows to enjoy N20,000 monthly stipends
READ ALSO:   Sallah: NLC urges Banks to improve Kano ATM services

The fire service personnel arrived the scene at around 11.20 when the hostel had been brought down.

The Rector of the institution, Dauda Gyemang, who described the incident as “shocking”, attributed it to a gas explosion which occurred “at about 8.30 a.m.”

“We thank God that no life was lost in the inferno, but nothing was rescued,” he said.

Mr Gyemang said that the incident was “a great loss” to the institution.

“We shall move the students to another place because the building is completely burnt down. It is very devastating,” he said.

The Rector wondered why the students were keeping cooking gas in the hostel, saying that it was against the school’s regulations.

READ ALSO:   I rear goats, snails, not snakes, Gov Ortom replies critics
READ ALSO:   I rear goats, snails, not snakes, Gov Ortom replies critics

“The problem here is that students do not adhere to the institution’s regulations; they are not supposed to be cooking in the hostels,” he fumed.

Mr Gyemang said that the burnt building would be rehabilitated “in no distant time”, and urged the students to remain calm.

The hostel’s Representative, Christiana Azi revealed that students have lost everything “including original copies of their credentials, clothes, food stuffs and other valuables.

“The incident is shocking and devastating. It will be very difficult to recover from it,” she said.

 

NAN

 

 

- Advertisement -

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here
READ ALSO:   Gov. Lalong imposes curfew after killing of 14 in Jos violence

- Advertisement -

Latest article

- Advertisement -
cosgrove