Sunday, September 19, 2021

We have no hands in killing of Fulani commuters in Jos – Irigwe youths

Must read

- Advertisement -
Irigwe Development Association, an ethnic group in Plateau on Monday denounced allegations that its people were responsible for the killing of 22 commuters on Rukuba Road, Jos on August 14.

President of the association, Robert Dodo, denounced the allegation at a news conference it organised in collaboration with an NGO in Abuja.

Mr Dodo said on the said day, Irigwe people were mourning their losses and were in a mass burial procession, aftermath of an attack on the community by gunmen.

He said the community had earlier applied and obtained permission from the police in Jos, which even provided escorts for the burial procession.

READ ALSO:   All  broadcast stations in Nigeria will switch to digital operations by 2022 – NBC
READ ALSO:   Security: Northern governors engage hunters, vigilantes on intelligence gathering

He added that it was the police escorts in the procession that advised the mourners not to use the Rukuba Road route.

“As law abiding people, the Irigwe funeral procession used an alternative route to arrive at destination at Miago.

“May we make it clear that our mourners and the funeral procession did not pass through Rukuba Road.

“We did not have any contact whatsoever with those travellers who were unfortunately killed,” he said.

Mr Dodo stressed that the narrative that the Rukuba Road attack was carried out by Irigwe youths and the mourners was false, evil and malicious.

The association’s president also denounced media reports that Irigwe people signed a peace accord with herdsmen as untrue.

READ ALSO:   I thank God I went to prison like Obasanjo — Kalu

He said Irigwe people had no problem with peace-loving herdsmen saying both groups attended meetings with the state government with the hope of putting an end to killings in the state.

The Programme Coordinator of the NGO, Mark Lipdo, said danger was inherent in labelling lrigwe people or Plateau people as perpetrators of killings without conclusive investigation or evidence.

READ ALSO:   All  broadcast stations in Nigeria will switch to digital operations by 2022 – NBC

He said the NGO had observed the emergence of threats issued in various quarters about plans of attacks and reports of influx of strangers that had made Irigwe people vulnerable.

“We have also observed with great concern, increased security reports of impending attacks in various parts of the state. This should not be allowed to continue.

READ ALSO:   NHRC receives 733 human rights complaints in Plateau

“Rather than allowing conflict merchants and trouble makers to take advantage of situations like this, the NGO is calling for a united stand in response to criminality.

“We are calling on government to expedite action to ensure that criminals who continued to attack our communities, kidnap, maim and kill people are apprehended and brought to justice,’’ he said.

NAN

- Advertisement -

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here
READ ALSO:   I thank God I went to prison like Obasanjo — Kalu

- Advertisement -

Latest article

- Advertisement -
cosgrove