Friday, August 12, 2022

Hernandez-inspired Hull eye safety after thumping ‘Boro

Must read

- Advertisement -

Hull City’s Uruguayan striker Abel Hernandez celebrates scoring his team’s third goal during the English Premier League football match between Hull City and Middlesbrough at the KCOM Stadium in Kingston upon Hull, north east England on April 5, 2017. Lindsey PARNABY / AFP

Uruguayan international Abel Hernandez scored one and set up another as Hull boosted their hopes of survival while seriously denting Middlesbrough’s chances with a fine 4-2 win in their Premier League clash on Wednesday.

Hernandez set up Senegalese international Oumar Niasse before scoring himself with Serbian international Lazar Markovic also getting on the scoresheet and Harry Maguire adding a fourth in the second-half.

Hull — who were bottom when Marco Silva took over in January — moved out of the relegation places, two points ahead of Swansea — who conceded three late goals to lose 3-1 to Tottenham.

Middlesbrough — winless in 13 matches — are second from bottom and seven points adrift of Hull.

Against the odds the match began with a bang as goal-shy Middlesbrough stunned the hosts by taking the lead through leading scorer Alvaro Negredo, who slotted home Adama Traore’s low cross.

However, ‘Boro didn’t hold the lead for long as Markovic, on loan from Liverpool, pounced to rifle the ball home for his first goal for the club.

The hosts heaped the pressure on Middlesbrough and a mistake by central defender Ben Gibson resulted in Hull taking a deserved lead.

Gibson failed to clear the danger and Hernandez teed up Niasse, who is on loan from Everton, to shoot home in the 27th minute.

Uruguyan international striker Hernandez grabbed the glory for himself six minutes later converting the impressive Kamil Grosicki’s cross.

The end-to-end stuff continued unabated as a Middlesbrough surged forward, Rudy Gestede’s goalbound header being tipped onto the bar by Hull ‘keeper Eldin Jakupovic.

The visitors did get one back in controversial circumstances in time added-on at the end of the first-half.

Marten de Roon headed home when offside but referee Michael Oliver allowed it.

Hull, though, emerged from the break and stuck to their task, deservedly restoring their two goal cushion with 20 minutes remaining as an unmarked Harry Maguire headed home Andrew Robertson’s cross.

asuu news

- Advertisement -

More articles


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest article

- Advertisement -

- Website Designed By DEBORIAN.COM, a Nigerian Web Designer and Web Developer -