Banditry has returned to Zamfara State after a lull which came as a result of the negotiation the State governor, Bello Matawalle, had with some of the perpetrstors.
In the renewed attack, which took place Sunday evening in Karaye under Gummi Local Government Area, 18 people were killed.
Residents said the attack was the deadliest in recent months as the armed bandits operated for hours without challenge from security agents. They said many casualties were recorded in the incident.
The Special Assistant to Governor Bello Matawalle on security matters, Abubakar Dauran, comfirmed the attack, saying it was a reprisal by suspected Fulani whose relatives were earlier killed in the earlier attack on a market at Bardoki ward in Gummi two weeks ago.
Mr Dauran said a report with him indicated that 10 people were killed in the attack. He blamed the attack on community volunteers (‘Yansakai) who he said had earlier killed scores of Fulani people in the market attack.
He added that seven community volunteers (‘Yansakai) were arrested over the earlier attack, adding that many elderly persons were also killed at the time.
“The volunteers have been banned in the state, but they are still carrying on with their activities, sabotaging the peace efforts of the government. The peace process is on course.”
He urged residents not be discouraged by the attacks, saying the government is on top of the situation.
The spokesperson of the army’s Operation Hadarin Daji, Oni Orisan, did not respond to multiple calls and text messages sent to his line.
Zamfara has in recent years witnessed several killings linked to bandits. Mr Matawalle, shortly after he took office on May 29, negotiated a ceasefire with the bandits