How sacked PHCN staff was electrocuted to death

Mr. Monday Ebor

The former staff of the Benin Electricity Distribution Company, BEDC, Monday Ebor, was electrocuted to death while illegally working on high tension lines.

The Nation reports that the incident happened in Agbor, Ika South, Delta State, when the man was working on the high tension lines and power was suddenly restored to the high tension lines.

Mr Eboh hails from Idumu Esah in Ika North East Local Government Area.  The report revealed that the victim lost his job and has been working privately as an electrician.

 An eyewitness who spoke on condition of anonymity said, “Monday was a former defunct NEPA (now Power Holding Company of Nigeria) staff before he lost his job there, so he started working as an electrician.

“An electrician informed Monday of a job work, but he said he was on his way. After some time, a lady called back informing us that Monday was dead that Monday was on the high tension electric when BEDC restored power.

“So we rushed down to Owanta close to the second power line and met Monday dead then we rushed him to the mortuary”.

When contacted, the Corporate Affairs Officer, BEDC, Asaba/Agbor, Esther Okolie said the victim had been declared wanted by the security operatives for his illegal activities which has destroyed BEDC installations and transformers

According to her the victim who was a staff of the organization was dismissed in 2009.

Mrs Okolie said that the victim was trying to illegally divert lines from one feeder to another unknown that power would be restored.

Her words, “The electrocuted suspect has been declared wanted by the security operatives i.e. the police, SSS and by the Business Manager of BEDC Agbor for wanton destruction of our installations and transformers through his illegal activities last year.

“Monday Ebor who was an ex-staff but dismissed in 2009 was electrocuted at Jolly Street Ist Power-Line, Boji-Boji Owa while trying to illegally divert  lines from Owa  Feeder to another in Town Feeder  unknown to him that the Feeder that was out on load would be restored by noon.”