Iranian state TV has reported that at least 80 “American terrorists” have been killed after Iran fired 15 ballistic missiles at US airbases in Iraq on Tuesday.
The report said none of the missiles were intercepted, and that US helicopters and military equipment were ‘severely damaged’.
The State TV, citing a senior Revolutionary Guards source, also said Iran had 100 other targets in the region in its sights if Washington took any retaliatory measures.
Iran launched missile attacks on US-led forces in Iraq in the early hours of Wednesday in retaliation for the US drone strike on an Iranian commander whose killing has raised fears of a wider war in the Middle East.
Pentagon confirmed that Iran fired ‘more than a dozen’ ballistic missiles Tuesday against two airbases in Iraq where US and coalition forces are based, in a further escalation of tensions after the killing of Iranian general Qasem Soleimani in Baghdad last week.
“At approximately 5.30pm (2230 GMT) on January 7, Iran launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles against US military and coalition forces in Iraq,” Assistant to the Secretary of Defence for Public Affairs Jonathan Hoffman said in a statement.
“It is clear that these missiles were launched from Iran and targeted at least two Iraqi military bases hosting US military and coalition personnel at Al-Assad and Irbil.” There were no immediate reports of casualties at the bases.
The attacks came after pro-Tehran factions in Iraq had vowed to “respond” to a US drone strike that killed Soleimani.
The White House said in a separate statement that President Donald Trump was “monitoring the situation closely and consulting with his national security team.”