Thursday, April 15, 2021

Local room warmer kills 2 as weather gets chilly in Plateau


tiamin rice

Two young men, aged between 24 to 25 years, have been reportedly killed by a locally made charcoal room warmer in Jos, Plateau State, following what could be described as chilly cold being experienced in the state and other parts of the country.

DAILY NIGERIAN gathered that the deceased, named Saminu and Idris, died on Friday night after taking the local warmer into their room, in a bid to ward off the intense cold.


The elder brother to one of the deceased, Labiru Idris, in whose house the tragedy occurred, told newsmen that when the duo came back home around 11 pm, they knocked at his door to demand a little charcoal to set up the warmer.

“They came back Friday night at about 11:pm, it was too cold and my brother knocked at my door. My wife opened and he collected Kasco in which they lit up the charcoal to warm the room as they went to sleep,” he said.

According to him, when he woke up the following morning he smelt some odour oozing out from around the compound.

“I looked at our kitchen thinking that my wife had ploughed something because electricity was restored, I discovered that the odour was not from there,” he said.

Mr Idris added that he later traced the odour to the room in which his brother and his friend slept.

“I slid the window open and smoke came out.

“I called my brother’s name twice and he did not answer, neither did his friend. I then called my neighbour with whom we forced the door of the room open, but could not enter due to the intensity of the smoke.

“Later, when we gained access to the room, we found them dead.

“My thinking or assumption is that somehow, they got suffocated by the charcoal and probably one of them had attempted opening the door, but on the process pushed the warmer, which lit a fire in the room,” Mr Idris said.

Related News


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News