Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Man City dents Arsenal’s title hopes


tiamin rice

Manchester City’s Ivorian midfielder Yaya Toure celebrates with teammates following the English Premier League football match between Manchester City and Arsenal at the Etihad Stadium in Manchester, north west England, on December 18, 2016. Manchester City won the match 2-1.

Second-half goals from Leroy Sane and Raheem Sterling stunned Arsenal at the Etihad Stadium yesterday, as Manchester City came from behind to win 2-1 and move seven points behind leaders Chelsea.

The result capped a miserable week for Arsenal who lost the lead – and all three points – for the second time in five days, having also gone down at Everton on Tuesday.

Coming away with nothing again had seemed inconceivable after an opening 45 minutes which Arsenal dominated, taking the lead on five minutes when Theo Walcott seized on Alexis Sanchez’s weighted pass to round off a thrilling three-man move.

City almost equalised immediately when Sterling headed just wide but they looked strangely hesitant going forward and could have fallen further behind as Arsenal played with confidence and menace.

City came out for the second half completely transformed, hitting back almost immediately as David Silva found Sane with a precision pass that allowed the German to score his first goal since his 46-million-pound ($57.49-million) move from Schalke.

Arsenal wilted alarmingly and frequently came off second best in the physical contest. It was no real surprise when City went further ahead after Kevin de Bruyne supplied Sterling with a raking crossfield pass on 71 minutes.

Sterling cut inside on his left foot and beat Petr Cech at his near post with a low shot. It was the first time since 2012 that
City had won at the Etihad after trailing at the interval.

“It was good to get on the scoresheet,” said Sterling. “We stayed in the game and got the winner.”

The result dropped Arsenal to fourth place.

In other games yesterday, Danny Rose scored the winner as Tottenham came from behind to beat Burnley in controversial circumstances in the Premier League.

Substitute Moussa Sissoko was given only a yellow card for a high, late tackle on Stephen Ward, before putting Rose through on goal in the next move, as the full-back smashed home at the near post.

“It was a blind challenge, a high challenge and simply a red card,” said Burnley boss Sean Dyche.

Spurs were punished for a sloppy start as they failed to clear the ball, allowing Ashley Barnes to poke in the opener.

Prior to the goal, Dele Alli had struck the post from close range, before the midfielder restored parity by converting Kyle Walker’s low cross.

Elsewhere, Southampton defeated Bournemouth 3-1 away from home.

Subscribe to Our VIP Newsletter

Related News


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News

atrk atrk atrk atrk atrk atrk atrk atrk atrk atrk