The Operation Lafiya Dole troops in Borno state on Saturday, airlifted the forty three surrendered Boko Haram insurgents to Gombe state for a de-radicalisaiton process.
The repentants insurgents are to join other surrendered colleagues in the state for the immediate commencement of their de-radicalization and rehabilitation programme under the auspices of Operation Safe Corridor.
Speaking while handing over the surrendered insurgents to Operation Safe Corridor, the Theatre Commander Operation Lafiya Dole, Ibrahim Attahiru assured that the penitent insurgents will be given a new lease of life.
Mr Attahiru, a major general, said they will “commence their journey back into the civil society through the de-radicalization and rehabilitation processes.”
He urged them further to embrace and undertake the programme whole-heartedly to enable them benefit and positively reorient their views about life and the society in general, a statement from the Theatre Command’s deputy director, public relations, Onyema Nwachukwu.
Over 70 Boko Haram insurgents had earlier this month, surrendered to troops of Operation Lafiya Dole in the North East, thus, taking advantage of the window of grace provided by the Federal Government for insurgents who are willing to give up terrorism and turn a new leaf to surrender to any military location closest to them.
Mr Nwachukwu, a colonel, said the Theatre Commander had “called on all other insurgents to abandon the futile struggle and reject the hypocrisy of the Boko Haram leadership who live in affluence, while their foot soldiers die in hunger.”