The government of Niger state has clarified position on the whereabouts of N1.4 billion allegedly left in the coffers by the previous government for the execution of a 5-star hotel project.
About two weeks ago, a former governor of the state, Dr Mu’azu Babangida Aliyu raised an alarmed that his government left the said amount in the coffers for the project and nothing had been done with it by the present administration.
According to him: “To my surprise, the contractor was invited by the government and given the whole amount. After two months he disappeared from site and has not returned to finish the job.”
However, in a response to the former governor Tuesday, Mary Berje, the Chief Press Secretary to Gov. Abubakar Bello said the money was Zenith Bank account.
She said it was not given to any contractor to commence work.
Ms Berje described the allegation as misleading and an attempt to win the sympathy of his “dying PDP” ahead of the forthcoming local government elections.
She said: “The present administration has not released any money to any contractor as alleged by the former governor.”