After successfully hosting the third quarter of FIBA Men’s 2019 World Cup qualifier last month, Nigeria has once again been awarded the right to stage the fourth window of the World Cup qualifier, from September 14 to 16, at the National Stadium, Surulere, Lagos.
The hosting right was contained in a letter sent to the Nigeria Basketball Federation (NBBF), by the FIBA Africa Secretary General, Alphonse Bile.According to NBBF, the notice is a clear sign of the growing confidence in the NBBF by FIBA as a major player on the African continent under the leadership of NBBF President, Musa Kida. Nigeria currently leads Group F with 12 points ahead of Senegal, Central African Republic, Rwanda, Cote d’Ivoire and Mali.
While speaking on the new development, Kida said the second hosting right would give the D’Tigers a chance to continue their unbeaten run in front of home fans as the team bids to qualify for the World Cup.
“We are so excited that we have been considered by FIBA to host Group F after we made an impression last time out. This is another opportunity for everybody to play their part in this memorable journey to China.
“The team will be banking on home support as it hopes to extend its unbeaten run against tougher oppositions, while the fans will troop out as usual to watch their team play,” he said.
D’Tigers lead Group F with 12 points from six games while Senegal is second with 11 points. Central African Republic and Rwanda occupy third and fourth spots with nine points apiece as Cote d’Ivoire and Mali are on eight points each.
The Group E games will be hosted in Rades, Tunisia. However, FIBA has stated that the two highest placed teams from the two groups and that the overall third placed team will book a place in next year’s World Cup.