Sunday, September 26, 2021

Nigerian Army chief, Buratai, gives soldiers 40 days to capture Shekau

Must read

Jaafar Jaafarhttps://dailynigerian.com/
Jaafar Jaafar is a graduate of Mass Communication from Bayero University, Kano. He was a reporter at Daily Trust, an assistant editor at Premium Times and now the editor-in-chief of Daily Nigerian.
- Advertisement -

The Chief of Army Staff, Tukur Buratai, on Friday gave a 40-day deadline to the Nigerian troops to capture the leader of Boko Haram terrorists, Abubakar Shekau.

Nigerian military had on many occasions either declared Mr Shekau dead or injured during military operations in the Sambisa Forests.

In September last year, the then commander of the Operation Lafiya Dole, Lucky Irabor, insisted that that Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau, is dead.

“I can confirm to you that the original Shekau was killed, the second Shekau was killed, and the man presenting himself as Shekau, I can also confirm to you that few days ago, he was wounded. We are yet to confirm whether he is dead or not,” Mr Irabor, a major-general, had said.

READ ALSO:   South East govs: No going back on united, peaceful Nigeria
READ ALSO:   NDLEA seizes 34,950 Tramadol, Diazepam capsules in Lagos

But a statement by the spokesman for the Nigerian Army, Sani Usman, on Friday said Mr Buratai wanted the terrorist leader to be captured dead or alive.

“Today, Friday 21st July 2017, the Chief of Army Staff, Nigerian Army, Lieutenant General Tukur Yusufu Buratai, has directed the Theatre Commander, Operation LAFIYA DOLE, Major General Ibrahim Attahiru, to capture Abubakar Shekau, the so-called and self-styled leader of Boko Haram terrorists group, dead or alive.

“The Theatre Commander has further been directed to do so within 40 days.

“He is to employ all arsenal at the disposal of the Theatre Command to smoke out Shekau wherever he is hiding in Nigeria.

READ ALSO:   UPDATED: Ex-Nigeria Airways workers, Abacha family bicker over liquidated properties
READ ALSO:   Borno: Nigerian Army foils Boko Haram’s attempt to take-over Dikwa town

“The general public is please requested to also assist and volunteer information that would lead to the accomplishment of this task,” Mr Usman, a brigadier-general, said in a terse statement.

- Advertisement -

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here
READ ALSO:   Gov. Shettima sponsors 130 Borno Christians for pilgrimage in Jerusalem

- Advertisement -

Latest article

- Advertisement -
cosgrove