The state commissioner for Health, Olurotimi Ojo, confirmed the case in Ado Ekiti on Monday at a stakeholders’ meeting on Lassa fever.
According to him, the patient was earlier treated for malaria and typhoid fever with high profile antibiotics, but did not respond to treatment.
He said the situation had given room for suspicion and further diagnostic steps were taken, which revealed the patient had the disease.
“Over the weekend, the state confirmed a case of Lassa fever that is being managed at the Federal Teaching Hospital, Ido Ekiti. The patient is stable and had commenced treatment.
“Immediately the patient was diagnosed and confirmed, the management began the process of contact tracing.
“The doctors are handling the situation and monitoring the situation very closely. So, nobody has been quarantined after the contact tracing,” he said.
Mr. Ojo noted the state government had already prepared an isolated ward at Oba Adejugbe General Hospital, Ado Ekiti, even before the breakout of the disease in the state.
“However, the situation is being curtailed by the state government in collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Health and World Health Organisation, through the office of the national centre for disease control,” Mr. Ojo said.
“The governor is also embarking on public and town-to-town sensitization on Lassa fever through the airing of jingles on the state broadcasting corporation and distribution of materials to the people,” he said.
He advised the people of the state to take precautionary measures and refrain from taking risks that could lead to further spread of the disease.