By Ibrahim Sulaiman
The acting president, Yemi Osinbajo, has inaugurated the board of the Nigerian Industrial Policy and Competitiveness Advisory Council on Tuesday, with a former Speaker of the House of Representatives, Salisu Buhari, as member.
Mr Buhari was forced to resign as speaker in July 1999, following age falsification and certificate forgery.
In his final speech before the House, Mr Buhari had tearfully apologized to his colleagues, nation, friends and family.
“I apologise to you. I apologise to the nation. I apologise to my family and friends for all the distress I have caused them.
“I was misled in error by zeal to serve the nation.
“I hope the nation will forgive me and give me the opportunity to serve again,” Mr Buhari, then 29, added.
In 2013, his appointment by the former President Goodluck Jonathan to serve as a member of the Governing Council of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, had generated controversy.
As a manufacturer and chairman of Rumbu Sacks, Mr Buhari was picked by Mr Osinbajo to serve as a member of the key advisory council, which the acting president himself chairs.
The council, which comprises representatives of the public and private sectors as well as a seven-member Technical Committee, will supervise policies that will speed up Nigeria’s industrialisation bid.
Read the full list below:
THE MEMBERSHIP OF THE NIGERIAN INDUSTRIAL POLICY AND COMPETITIVENESS ADVISORY COUNCIL INAUGURATED EARLIER TODAY
- His Excellency, the Acting President and Chairman of the EMT, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo (Chairman)
- Hon. Minister, Industry Trade and Investment, Dr. Okechukwu Enelamah (Vice-Chairman, Public Sector)
- Hon. Minister of State, Industry, Trade and Investment, Mrs. Aisha Abubakar (Alternate Vice-Chairman, Public Sector)
- President, Dangote Group, Alhaji Aliko Dangote (Vice-Chairman, Private Sector)
- Chairman, ANAP Business Jets Ltd, Mr. Atedo Peterside (Alternate Vice-
Chairman, Private Sector)
OTHER PRIVATE SECTOR MEMBERS
- Chairman, Nigerian Breweries and PZ Cussons Chief Kola Jamodu
- Chairman, BUA Group Alhaji Abdulsamad Rabiu
- Chairman, IVM Innoson Group of Companies Limited Dr. Innocent Ifediaso Chukwuma
- GMD, Chi Foods Nigeria Mr. Rahul Savara
- Chairman, Flour Mills of Nigeria Plc Mr. John Coumantarous
- CEO, Emzor Pharmaceuticals Mrs. Stella Okoli
- Country Head, Olam Mr. Mukul Mathur
- President/CEO Beloxxi Industries Limited Mr. Obi Ezeude
- MD/CEO Fidson Healthcare Plc Dr. Fidelis Ayebea
- Founder, Flutterwave Mr. Iyinoluwa Aboyeji
- President & CEO, GE Business Operations Nigeria Mr. Lazarus Angbazo
- CEO, Jumia Mrs. Juliet Anamah
- CEO, SecureID Nigeria Ltd Mrs. Kofo Akinkugbe
- Chairman/C.E.O, AMMASCO International Limited Alhaji Ado Mustapha
- Chairman, KAM Industries Alhaji Kamaldeen Yusuf
- Chairman, United Textiles Plc Alhaji Adamu Atta
- Chairman Candel Corporation; CEO Swift Networks Mr. Charles Anudu
- Chairman, Rumbu Sacks Nigeria Limited Alhaji Ibrahim Salisu Buhari
- Chairman, Tofa Group Mr. Isiaku Tofa
- MD/CEO Proforce Limited Mr. Ade Ogundeyin
- President, Manufacturers Association of Nigeria Dr. Frank Udemba JacobsOTHER PUBLIC SECTOR MEMBERS
- Hon. Minister for Budget & National Planning, Senator Udoma Udo Udoma
- Hon. Minister of Finance, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun
- Hon. Minister for Agriculture and Rural Development, Chief Audu Ogbeh
- Hon. Minister for Power, Works & Housing, Mr. Babatunde Raji Fashola
- Hon. Minister for Transportation, Chief Rotimi Amaechi
- Hon. Minister of State, Petroleum Resources Dr. Ibe Kachikwu
- Hon. Minister for Mines and Steel Development, Dr. Kayode Fayemi
- Hon. Minister for Science & Technology, Dr. Ogbonnaya Onu
- Governor, Central Bank of Nigeria, Mr. Godwin Emefiele
TECHNICAL COMMITTEE MEMBERS
- Economic Adviser to the President Dr. Yemi Dipeolu
- Trade Adviser/Chief Negotiator Amb. Chiedu Osakwe
- MD, Bank of Industry Mr. Waheed Olagunju
- Exec. Director/CEO, Nigerian Export Promotion Council, Mr. Olusegun
- Executive Secretary, Nigeria Investment Promotion Commission Ms. Yewande
- Statistician-General, National Bureau of Statistics Dr. Yemi Kale
- CEO, Economic Associates Dr. Ayo Teriba