Philippines health department declares measles outbreak in Manila

The Philippine Health Department has noted a sharp rise of measles cases in Metro Manila, prompting health authorities to declare measles outbreak in the Philippine Capital on Wednesday.

Health Secretary Francisco Duque officially declared an outbreak in Metro Manila, also called the National Capital Region (NCR), after the number of measles cases continued to rise.

Measles cases in the NCR rose by 550 per cent from Jan. 1 to Feb. 6, 2019, compared to the same period in 2018, he added.

READ ALSO: Philippines could go to war over South China Sea

As of Feb. 2, Health Undersecretary Enrico Domingo said at least 861 suspected cases of measles had been reported all over Metro Manila.

Many of the cases were recorded in the cities of Quezon, Manila, Caloocan, Marikina, Pasig, Navotas, Paranaque, Taguig, Pasay and Malabon, Domingo said.

Measles, locally known as “tigdas,’’ is a highly contagious viral disease that is transmitted via droplets from the nose, mouth or throat of infected persons.

Xinhua/NAN