Wednesday, October 27, 2021
Array

Police confirm 3 dead, 6 injured in fresh Taraba attack

Must read

Jaafar Jaafarhttps://dailynigerian.com/
Jaafar Jaafar is a graduate of Mass Communication from Bayero University, Kano. He was a reporter at Daily Trust, an assistant editor at Premium Times and now the editor-in-chief of Daily Nigerian.
- Advertisement -

The police in Taraba on Monday confirmed the death of three persons while no fewer than  six others sustained injuries in another overnight attack on Maisamari in town in Sardauna Local Government Area  of the state by a suspected militia group.

The police spokesman in the state, David Misal, who confirmed the incident to the News Agency of Nigeria in Jalingo, said the incident  took place during a cultural event called Nding-Chin.

The cultural event was said to be taking place in the area for the first time.

Mr Misal, who said area was now calm, disclosed  that the command had deployed additional policemen to beef up security.

Godwin Sol, acting chairman of Sardauna Local Government Council, told NAN that the administration had earlier banned all cultural meetings and festivals because of the security situation in the area.

Mr Sol, however, said he was surprised  to learn that a  group, which  mobilised their kinsmen from surrounding villages, held a dance event in Maisamari  against the council’s order.

He said security operatives were later mobilised to disperse the gathering.

The spokesman said due to the size of the crowd,  a time frame within which to complete the exercise and disperse was given.

Mr Sol said at the expiration of the time frame, instead of leaving the town as agreed, the group  relocated to the house of one Yaya Ahmadun  to continue with the dance  which continued  into the night.

“It was while this was going on that some unknown gunmen attacked the place and killed three persons and injured six others,” Sol said.

The council boss said the host of the event in Maisamari  as well as  leaders of the cultural group have been arrested.

NAN learnt that the  injured are  receiving treatment at the Gembu General Hospital.

The latest  incident is  coming barely six months after a bloody attack on several communities in Sardauna Council Area had left many dead while  property worth millions of naira were  destroyed.

NAN

- Advertisement -

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest article

- Advertisement -
cosgrove