Some intending pilgrims to this year’s annual Hajj to Saudi Arabia have complained of the increase of over 50 percent to this year’s hajj fare by the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria, NAHCON.
The commission had last week announced the Hajj fares of some states with an increase in the fare of over 50 percent to what the pilgrims paid in 2016.
The announcement also showed that the fares are no longer uniformed to all the states, but would be determined according to states.
They would be paid a package of $800 general Basic Travel Allowance, BTA, which has been built into the Hajj fare package at flat rate across the board.
Consequently, some of the intending pilgrims expressed their disappointments to hike in the fares, with some section of them expressing doubt of meeting the new price.
Speaking to BBC Hausa Service on Wednesday, one of the intending pilgrims from the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Bashir Abubakar said they were taken aback by the NAHCON’s announcement.
“We are not happy with this price increase. Most of us who intend to go to this year’s hajj were disappointed to hear of the increase because the difference is huge.
“Most of us have since finished paying what we were asked to deposit. We deposited N1 million, but with this announcement, we have to add N500,000,” he said.
Asked on whether he can afford to complete the payment, Mr Abubakar said he was ready, but that was no the same with most of his counterparts.
He complained of the period for them to pay the difference, lamenting that “they gave us only a week to complete the amount for a seat.”