Sunday, October 24, 2021

South Korea launches 3rd submarine equipped with ballistic missiles

Must read

- Advertisement -

South Korea will launch its third home-grown 3,000-tonnes submarine equipped with ballistic missiles, the Defence Acquisition Programme Administration, DAPA, said on Tuesday.

DAPA said the launching of the 3,000-tonnes class Shin Chae-ho submarine is the third and the final of three Changbogo-III Batch-I submarines.

It will be carried out later in the day at the shipyard of Hyundai Heavy Industries in the southeast city of Ulsan.

“Under the 3.1-trillion-won ($2.8 billion) project launched in 2007, the country has built submarines with its indigenous technologies.

“The first, Dosan Ahn Chang-ho submarine, was launched in 2018 and deployed in August, while the second, Ahn Mu submarine, was launched in November 2020 and would be delivered to the Navy in 2022.

READ ALSO:   Moon gets AstraZeneca vaccine shot for G-7 summit

“The third submarine would be delivered to the Navy in 2024 after sea trial and all of the three submarines are capable of firing Submarine Launch Ballistic Missiles (SLBM) with six vertical launch tubes.’’

The military successfully test-fired SLBM from the Dosan Ahn Chang-ho submarine earlier this month.

The SLBM was known as “Hyunmoo 4-4” as it was developed based on the technology of the country’s Hyunmoo-2B ballistic missile with a range of about 500 kilometres.

Xinhua/NAN

- Advertisement -

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest article

- Advertisement -
cosgrove