Music icon Tuface Idibia has cancelled his planned protests scheduled to hold on February 6.
The planned protest had become a topical issue in the country, with Nigerians expressing support for and against it.
A pro-Buhari group, #iStandWithBuhari had vowed to organize a counter protest on the same day.
In a statement issued Friday by the spokesman of Nigerian Police, Jimoh Moshood, the police said there was credible intelligence that the demonstration could turn violent.
“Innocent Idibia (a.k.a Tuface) and his group are hereby strongly advised to shelve their planned peaceful protest/demonstration in the interest of peace and security,” the police said.
While the nation awaits for the grand protest day, the singer took to Instagram to announce a decision to cancel the protest, citing security concerns.
The march had been supported by many Nigerians, including politicians such as the chairman of PDP Governors Forum and governor of Ekiti State, Ayodele Fayose.