The Bauchi State governor, Mohammed Abubakar, has caused a social media storm, following his decision to feature in a Nollywood movie “Up North”.
DAILY NIGERIAN reports that the governor’s decision sparked social media censure, with most commenters saying it was against the culture of the people and unbecoming of a governor.
The movie’s star-studded cast includes Kanayo O. Kanayo, Banky W, TBoss, Michelle Dede, Rahama Sadau, Saeed Mohammed, and Akin Lewis.
One of the executive producers of the film and founder of Anakles Films, Editi Effiong, said Mr Abubakar would not only be starring in Tope Oshin’s Up North but committed to making the project a success.
Now, here are some of the five basic things to know about film Governor MA Abubakar is starring in:
- Production: Up North is a joint effort of Inkblot Productions and Anakle Films, a subsidiary of Anakle Digital. Anakle Films is a new player in the industry while Inkblot Productions has produced several blockbusters including the box office record-shattering Wedding Party 1 and 2.
- Directing:Up North is directed by Tope Oshin, who has already released one movie this year – New Money and has another one coming up – We Don’t Live Here Anymore. Her upcoming project is an adult queer story. Exciting times in Nollywood!
- Release Date:there is no specific date but it is coming out in cinemas nationwide in December and we can expect an elaborate premiere that is most likely going to have governors and an emir in attendance.
- Shoot Location:Up North is being shot on locations in Lagos and Bauchi, but from the title only, you can tell most part of the movie will be shot up north.
- Up North is the first Nollywood movie that will star a sitting governor and an emir. This is a big one for Nollywood.