Saturday, April 17, 2021

UPDATED: Gunmen abduct 60, torch many houses in Zamfara community

Headline

tiamin rice

Gunmen have stormed Ruwan Tofa town in Maru Local Government Area of Zamfara state, abducting 60 women and children in the area.

It was gathered that the gunmen stormed the town on Wednesday and burned down many houses, cars, shops and destroyed properties worth millions of Naira.

A resident of the town, who spoke with the BBC Hausa service on Thursday, said all other residents had fled the area, adding that almost half of the town was burnt down.

The resident, however, said that no casualties were recorded but that the gunmen had shot one and that he was in the hospital.

READ  Banditry: Gov. Matawalle dethrones Emir of Maru
READ  UK to review quarantine country list Thursday

“They took away a lot of women and children. There was a man with four wives who all took his wives or one was not left behind. They took a relative of the District Head and his family,” he said.

Another victim also said that about 15 men, women and children had been taken from his house, “and they took 90 bags of grain from me in a car”.

“We asked the security forces twice but they did not come and we dispersed from the town,” he said.

READ  Eid-el-Kabir: We’ll stage Fulani Sharo festival in Zamfara, says Matawalle

When DAILY NIGERIAN contacted the spokesperson of the Zamfara State Police Command, Mohammed Shehu did not answer the call.

But in a statement on Thursday, Mr Shehu confirmed the abduction but denied the reported number of the abductees.

According to him, the number quoted was misleading and attempt to create fear into the minds of Zamfara citizens.

He said: “The Zamfara Police Command has received information about the attack on the village which occurred on 3rd March 2021.

READ  Next Level: put extra efforts in tackling insecurity, APC chieftain urges Buhari
READ  Eid-el-Kabir: We’ll stage Fulani Sharo festival in Zamfara, says Matawalle

“Our combined teams of the ground and aerial surveillance are on extensive bush combing of the surrounding forests aimed at rescuing the victims suspected to have been kidnapped.

“Members of the public are enjoined to discountenance the reported figures and assist the security forces in the ongoing operations.

“They are to equally remain calm, as we update you from time to time, please.”

Related News

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News

cosgrove