Chelsea’s Nigerian midfielder Victor Moses celebrates after scoring during the English Premier League football match between Chelsea and Burnley at Stamford Bridge in London on August 27, 2016. / AFP PHOTO / GLYN KIRK /
Mikel open talks with Conte
Super Eagles’ Midfielder, Victor Moses, yesterday was named the PFA Fans’ Premier League Player of the Month award for November, beating the likes of Sergio Aguero and Gylfi Sigurdsson, reports skysports.com.
More than 40,000 votes were cast in the poll, which was held on the Sky Sports website and apps, with Moses claiming a landslide victory with 18,756 votes.
Swansea’s Sigurdsson came second with 7,791 votes, while Watford’s Nordin Amrabat was third with 5,378 votes. Rounding off the top six were Sunderland’s Victor Anichebe (3,642), Manchester City’s Aguero (3,457) and West Brom’s Matt Phillips (1,203).
The six candidates were chosen by an expert panel, which included Sky Sports pundits, Peter Beagrie and Paul Merson, Mike Riley – general manager of the Professional Game Match Officials, and Malcolm Clarke – chairman of the Football Supporters’ Federation.
Meanwhile, John Obi Mikel, who has been heavily linked with a move away from west London, could still stay at the club with dialogue open between him and his manager
Mikel’s agent, John Shittu, has confirmed it is ‘50-50′ as to whether the midfielder will leave Chelsea during the January transfer window.
Doubts have emerged over Mikel’s Chelsea future as he has only six months left to run on his contract, and he continues to be linked with clubs ranging from Manchester United, to teams in China.
The Nigeria captain hasn’t made a match-day squad for Chelsea since Antonio Conte took charge and has found himself out of favour at Stamford Bridge after he missed the start of the Premier League season to be part of his national team, which won his country’s only medal at the Olympics.
Shittu admits there is activity around Mikel, but he refused to rule out a Chelsea stay for his client and revealed that Mikel and Conte have discussed his future.
“Obi Mikel and Antonio have been speaking,” Shittu told Goal. “The manager, club and player have been talking. So I am not in a position to tell about what they have been speaking about, in the next few weeks things should be clearer.
“We have been having meeting with a few parties who are interested in him, once we are able to agree the way forward with Chelsea, then we will take it from there.
“There are a few clubs in Europe and Asia, they are numerous and are interested in him because he is a quality player, aged only 29, and we just have to speak, so we will see. A lot of interest is there.
“There is no decision made yet and it is still 50/50 whether he will sign or leave. A lot can happen in the next months, never say never in football.”
Mikel is Chelsea’s second longest-serving player after John Terry and has said previously that he is open to talks about a stay, despite his lack of first-team action this season.