Access Bank Lagos City Marathon
With two weeks to the 2017 Access Bank Lagos City Marathon, organisers of the event have said they are committed to organizing a world-class event.This year’s Access Bank Lagos City Marathon will hold on February 11 with top marathoners from different parts of the world already jostling to participate.
The Chief Executive Officer of NILAYO Sports Management Ltd, Bukola Olopade, told The Guardian yesterday that they would host a tournament that the whole of Africa will be proud of.
Olopade, whose Marketing outfit is the official consultant to the Access Bank Lagos City Marathon spoke yesterday to clarify issues raised in some quarters over alleged unpaid wages to some managers who were part of the Access Bank Lagos City Marathon last year.
“I am the consultant to the Access Bank Lagos City Marathon,” Olopade said. “If there is anything concerning non-payment of money, I expect the people to channel it to me first. In any case, there is nothing to worry about here. I will look into it. This year’s edition is taking a different shape because there is increase in awareness, fun and the enthusiasm of the people is higher.
“The Governor of Lagos State, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode is now the chairman of the Organising Committee, and that has made our requirements very easy. Don’t also forget that this year marks the silver jubilee of Lagos State, and the Access Bank Lagos City Marathon is one of the events lined up to celebrate the anniversary. It is going to be a big event, and people from far and near, including volunteers from the United States of America and the United Kingdom have signified their interest to be part of the event,” Olopade stated.
It would be recalled that Governor Ambode and the Chief Executive Officer of Access Bank, Herbert Wigwe, had expressed their desire to make a good show of the marathon as it was part of the agenda to transform Lagos to becoming one of the best cities in the world. The maiden edition last year was rated 69th best race in the world.