Saturday, April 10, 2021
Array

Xenophobia: Nigerians advised against traveling to high risk areas

Headline

Rayyan Alhassan
Rayyan Alhassanhttps://dailynigerian.com/author/rayyan/
Rayyan Alhassan is a 30-year-old graduate of Journalism and Mass Communication at Sikkim Manipal University, Ghana. He is the acting Managing Editor at the Daily Nigerian newspaper, a position he has held for the past 3 years. He can be reached via [email protected], or www.facebook.com/RayyanAlhassan, or @Rayyan88 on Twitter.
tiamin rice

The Federal Government on Wednesday advised Nigerians against traveling to high risk and volatile areas of some countries until the current situation of xenophobic attacks is brought under control.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs gave the advice in a statement issued in Abuja through its spokesperson, Ferdinand Nwonye.

The advice came following the tension created by the current xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in South Africa which led to death and loss of properties of Nigerians.

Condemning the recent attacks in South Africa, the Ministry has assured Nigerians that the Federal Government was committed to protecting lives and properties of Nigerians living in South Africa.

READ  Buhari mourns Balarabe Musa, says ex-Gov was voice for the voiceless
READ  Gov. Lalong declares public holiday as Buhari visits Plateau Thursday

The Ministry stated that the Nigerian Government would ensure that definite measures are put in place to avoid a recurrence on such attacks on Nigerians.

“The Federal Government of Nigeria totally condemns the renewed attacks on foreign nationals and their businesses in South Africa which has led to the loss of lives and properties worth Millions of Naira.

“The Government of Nigeria is engaging the relevant South African authorities via the Nigerian High Commission in Pretoria, Consulate General in Johannesburg.

READ ALSO: Xenophobic Attacks: Don’t wait to be killed, monarch advises Nigerians in South Africa

READ  2019: Buhari has nothing to fear about Atiku – Prof. Sagay

“And the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Abuja to ensure that definite measures are put in place to curtail the unfortunate attacks.

“The Federal Government commends the arrest of some perpetrators of the dastardly act by the South African Police and call on timely prosecution to serve as deterrence to others.

“However, due to the tension created by the attacks, the Government of Nigeria wishes to advice Nigerians to avoid travelling to high risk and volatile areas until the situation is brought under control”, the Ministry stated.

READ  JUST IN: Oyegun gets one-year tenure extension

News Agency of Nigeria reports that concerned about the situation, President Muhammadu Buhari instructed Foreign Affairs Minister, Geoffrey Onyeama to summon the South African High Commissioner to Nigeria to get briefs on the situation.

READ  So far, Presidential Election Tribunal admits 883 exhibits in PDP, Atiku petition

Following a closed door meeting between Onyeama and the Acting High Commissioner of South Africa to Nigeria, Bobby Moroe, the Foreign Affairs Minister disclosed that Nigeria had made concrete proposals to the South African Government.

The Minister said that the proposal which calls for urgent implementation by the South African government would bring an end to a recurrence of attacks on Nigerians in South Africa.

NAN

Related News

Latest News

cosgrove