A few days after securing N10million bail from the Federal High Court, Abuja over an alleged $20,000 extortion, the Senator who represented Kaduna Central in the 8th National Assembly, Shehu Sani, has spoken out.
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, had arrested and arraigned Mr Sani for alleged extortion of $20,000 from the owner of ASD Motors, an allegation the Senator had since denied.
Mr Dauda, in his petition, alleged that the Senator had met him four times to pester him to part with the $24,000 (N8.6 million) over his daughter’s case.
However, Mr Sani, in a statement he personally signed on Saturday, described his arrest and detention for 30 days by the EFCC as unfair, unjust and “a clear breach of my fundamental rights and hence stands condemned”.
“During my unjust stay in the EFCC cell, I was subjected to traumatizing interrogations; My Houses and offices where searched, they compel me to declare my assets, they tried to subject me to polygraph lie detector tests, my accounts were blocked, my phone was seized all in the name of fictional “24” or “25” thousand dollar extortion,” the Senator lamented.
Mr Sani, therefore, declared the EFCC, “can frame me, detain me but can’t silence me”.
Read the full statement below:
1.I wish to thank all individuals and groups that have shown concern, support, Solidarity and prayers during my 30 days of incarceration in the underground cell of the EFCC on the orders of its chairman. With gratitude to Almighty Allah and My Special appreciation to Amnesty International, SERAP, HURIWA and numerous to mention.
- My incarceration for 30 days in the jail of EFCC was unfair, Unjust and a clear breach of my fundamental rights and hence stands condemned.
3.During my unjust stay in the EFCC cell, I was subjected to traumatizing interrogations; My Houses and offices where searched, they compel me to declare my assets, they tried to subject me to polygraph lie detector tests, my accounts were blocked, my phone was seized all in the name of fictional “24” or “25” thousand dollar extortion.
- Any Information planted in the media by the EFCC spokesperson while I was in their custody about me is outright false and nothing but a bacterial and fungal infested concoctions, typical of their style.
5.Our Country will continue to be at the bottom strata of the transparency International index as long as our anti-graft agencies only use their might and arsenal to crush ants while lacking the courage, the heart and the liver to confront the snakes, the vultures and the hyenas of the ruling establishment.
- They can frame me, detain me but can’t silence me.
7. I shall abide by all the conditions of my bail and appreciate the courage, compassion and wisdom of the court in granting me the bail.
- In an ideal democratic state, all agencies of the Government are obliged to operate within the dictates and the ambit of the rule of law or the nation leaps in to tyranny.
- The rule book of Stalin, The manual of Hitler or road map of Mussolini should not be the guidance and the compass of the nation’s security and anti-corruption agencies in their quest to sanitize our country.
Senator shehu Sani.