Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Your excuse flimsy, FG replies #BBOG for rejecting Sambisa tour

Headline

Jaafar Jaafarhttps://dailynigerian.com/
Jaafar Jaafar is a graduate of Mass Communication from Bayero University, Kano. He was a reporter at Daily Trust, an assistant editor at Premium Times and now the editor-in-chief of Daily Nigerian.
tiamin rice

By Nazifi Haruna

The federal government on Sunday rejected conditions given to it by the the Bring Back Our Girls (BBOG) group for taking part in a tour to Sambisa Forest to witness efforts being made to rescue the Chibok schoolgirls from Boko Haram captivity.

In a letter to the group, Lai Muhammed, the Minister of Information and Culture said the trip could not be postponed to accommodate any “pre-tour”  meeting with the government.

The letter, addressed to Obiageli Ezekwesili, the convener of the BBOG, also said that the demand made by group to meet with the Chief of Army Staff Lieutenant-General Tukur Yusuf Buratai and other officials is irrelevant to the invitation of the group to the Sambisa tour.

READ  Nigerian govt can’t continue to subsidise television services – Lai Mohammed
READ  Nigerian government Invites #BringBackOurGirls to Sambisa

‘’We have also noted the conditions you gave for embarking on the trip which include the said Pre-Tour Meeting and the retraction of some remarks allegedly made by the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai, which the #BBOG finds to be slanderous. We regret, however, to inform you that we are unable to postpone the trip as scheduled, ’’ Mr. Mohammed said.

He added that the team assembled for the tour  would proceed on the trip on Monday as scheduled because of the “narrow window available to have a good weather on the day”  and that  “payment for the satellite downlink streaming of the mission had been made for the day and shifting the date will require another round of booking to secure such a slot.”

READ  Name those who stole N1.3 trillion, Fayose challenges Lai Mohammed
READ  Why digitisation is difficult to attain in Nigeria, by RATTAWU

The minister further explained that apart from the BBOG members, local and international journalists had been invited for the trip, just as some preparations had been made by the Nigerian military.

‘’We hope that the BBOG will drop its conditions and join the trip which shows the commitment of the Federal Government to securing freedom for the Chibok girls and its transparency in handling the issues of the girls, ” Mr. Mohammed added.

Related News

Latest News

cosgrove
atrk atrk atrk atrk atrk atrk atrk atrk atrk atrk